2014 Trip to Oman – Day 17 – Jan 1, 2015 Happy New Year

We brought in 2015 following Trish’s ongoing travel mess.  She did fly out of Dubai on time at 10 am Dec 31 Muscat time on her flight to San Fransisco and arrived on time but didn’t get as much sleep as she would have liked because there were at least six infants in the seats surrounding hers.

She went to the San Fran ticket counter to get her boarding passes for her flights to Seattle and Kelowna, only to be told she was booked on a flight leaving at 4 pm THE NEXT AFTERNOON!  By this time she had had about 4 hours sleep in the past 49 hours so, understandably, she cried.  And I don’t blame her!  A supervisor at the flight counter managed to get her a seat on the flight she was told she would be on in the first place.  When she boarded she discovered she was in Business Class – one small favour amidst all the frustration.

All flights from there took off and landed on time and she arrived in Kelowna at 12:14 am on Jan 1 Pacific Time which is 12 hours behind us here in Oman. Just to add another element to this horror story, when she went to use the washroom during her layover in Seattle, her kneecap dislocated and she had to push it back into place.  So, she was not only massively frustrated, very, very tired but in pain the rest of the way home.

My brother-in-law had kindly offered to drive us all to the airport when we left and to pick Trish up when she returned.  He was waiting when she got through customs and drove her to our home in Salmon Arm where she picked up her car and drove herself to her house in Sicamous.  By the time she arrived at her door she had been travelling for 61 hours!!!  She should have been home in 25 hours counting the early arrival time to get through security and the time between flights – of which she should have had two, not four.  Needless to say she is ecstatic to be home!  Two friends of hers were staying in her house while she was away and Sean had a nice meal waiting to welcome her home.  She does have a lot of good friends.


If she wasn’t so tired she would be cheering like she did our first day when we went to the beach.


Since I had not slept well the night before and we had stayed up so late to see Trish off I went to bed at 10:30.  I woke up at 1 and came out and checked my computer to see if Trish had arrived in San Fransisco yet.  We chatted on line for a few minutes and I went back to bed.  Happy New Year to one and all.

Jan 1 is not a holiday here so Joseph went to work this morning after having two unexpected days off to use up his holidays.  Carrie had to go shopping for some new runners as the heel base on one of her shoes came off at the promenade yesterday.  She had a couple of other specific things she was looking for so John and I stayed home and let her do her searching  without distractions.

She returned about an hour later after successfully finding all three things she was looking for, including these awesome runners!  I am getting myself a pair of these before I go home.  For sure.For the last two weeks Trish has been sleeping on the day bed in the third bedroom of the villa. This room is normally Carrie’s studio/office.  While it was occupied by Trish Carrie would do a lot of her work sitting on the bed in her and Joseph’s bedroom.  Now that Trish is successfully home the day bed has been converted to it’s normal size and Carrie is back in her studio.  She has an artist’s blog on creativity (check out artistthink.com) with articles and interviews and has been working for some months on launching an on-line course.  She calls it The Art Detox and it is due to launch on Jan 15.  It is a five-week course that encourages creative play and she has been working long hours to get it ready and get all the aspects of her new business venture set up.  She really enjoyed having Trish come to visit and was sad to see her go but she is also happy to have her space back.

The villa has three bedrooms on the second floor (all with full ensuite bathrooms) and a second living room/family room area as well. This is where we hang out most of the time. Joseph has his desk in the corner where he does work for a while most evenings.  There is a 52″ flat screen and lots of movies but John and I generally sit on the couch with our computers and check out stuff, read Facebook, play online games and I write my blog.

IMG_3943 IMG_3947 As I have mentioned several times in my blog, we play games when we get together with Joseph and Carrie.  I have always loved to play games and we played many different board games and card games when the kids were growing up.  Both of them still enjoy games.

Joseph and Carrie have a long dining table and currently we have two different games set up on it and we alternate between one and the other for an hour or so in the evening.

IMG_3939We maintain a hectic pace around here! I love it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.